I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Just the basics....

A while back, I wrote a post asking this question:


Most of my posts are exactly that... an explanation or description of my own private prayer time.  Today, I got up early, as usual, and began to read my One Year Bible.  While reading, I asked God for something that is very dear to my heart.  I would imagine most of what we ask of God is dear to our hearts or we probably wouldn't bring it before Him!

However, this morning... my request was big and very personal.  It was concerning a "thing" - not so much a situation, an emotion, or an attitude - but for a physical thing.

Then, as I continued to read I came across this verse:

1 Timothy 6:6 (ESV)
"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.  But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content."

It was almost as if God was saying to me...

"Penny, let's start with some basics before we get to this thing.  
Let's start with godliness with contentment.  
This thing that you're so concerned about... you didn't come into this world with it and you certainly won't leave with it.  
Do you have something to eat and wear today?  
Yes you do!  
Today, my child... you can have contentment whether or not this thing is provided or not!"

As soon as I read this, heard from the Lord, I looked around my kitchen. (This is where I read my Bible as I drink my coffee)  I remembered the groceries I just purchased on Monday.  I thought about the clean laundry I have waiting for me in my closet... and actually had a wave of peace come over me.

Paul was instructing Timothy on how to live his life, serving the Lord.  The 2 main things Paul referenced here were food & clothing!  

He didn't mention... 
houses 
cars
bank accounts
health
successful jobs
completed projects
obedient children... only food & clothing.

Today - with the Lord's help - we've got those covered.  So today, I'm going to focus on being content in godliness!

What about you?  
Do you sometimes let the other "things" cloud your contentment?




Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!