I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Tastes of your Roots!

Last night I made one of my husband's most favorite meals.

Hot Water Cornbread and Ham Steaks with Red Eye Gravy


It's a meal that reminds him of home.

It's a meal that his Momma used to make when 
he was a little boy.

It's a meal that just by smelling it cooking in the kitchen 
brings him comfort.

It reminds him of his roots.

Isn't it interesting how food can do such a thing - bring comfort and remind us of days gone by?

I've very excited about tomorrow....
...we're taking a quick little trip to TEXAS!!!

In April 2009, my husband followed the Lord's calling to a wonderful church in New Orleans, La.  So we packed up all of our belongings into a moving trailer (didn't know we had so much "stuff") and our minivan and headed East!

We're really enjoying 'Nawlins and especially all the new foods - like gumbo, jambalaya, and Monday's sacred Red Beans & Rice!

But as soon as I called my friends in Texas to announce our coming - they knew exactly what I needed... Mexican Food!  Just seeing the words in her text message brought comfort and reminded me of good times with them! Mmmmm.... I can taste it now - guacamole, fajitas with homemade tortillas, chips & hot sauce, cheesy queso, refried beans & rice!!!

I believe the Lord wants us to enjoy our food.  Did you know He uses the word "taste" over 30 times throughout the Old & New Testaments!

Here are a couple of my favs:

Psalm 34:8 (ESV)
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!  
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

Psalm 119:03 (ESV)
How sweet are Your words to my taste, 
sweeter than honey to my mouth.



Just like foods can remind us of our roots and bring us comfort - so can the Word of the Lord.  Let verses you learned as a child take you back to a place of refuge and warm your heart today.

I'm curious about something today...

Where are you from?
And what foods remind you of home?

If you're here from iFellowship... WELCOME!
I hope you grab a cup of your favorite beverage
and hang out with me a while!
Leave me a comment, so I'll know you came by
and know that I'll be by later to visit you as well!




iFellowship



Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!