I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Leading through the pain...

Most of you know that I ABSOLUTELY love my One Year Bible!  God never ceases to show me great things in His Word that I've never really noticed before, and I've been reading my One Year Bible for 11 years.

As most of you know, my last 4 months have been riddled with much pain.  Not only have I been dealing with missing John like crazy - a pain that upon hearing the news I thought would be the end of me - but I've also dealt with many unpleasant circumstances as a result of his Homegoing.

So many days I just wanted to run and hide.

I've never been one to avoid an email or a phone call.  But since December 30th, I must admit, I have not been the best communicator.  This is just real talkin here...

But I read something last week in 1 Samuel that really encouraged me and has given me new strength and a new perspective.

1 Samuel 22:1-2 (ESV)
David departed from there (Gath) and escaped to the cave of Adullam.  And when his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him.  And everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was bitter in soul, gathered to him.  And he became captain over them.

Let me set the stage for you just a bit...
David is running from Saul.  Saul is king of Israel and yet the Lord is exalting David in every way.  David was winning battles and gaining popularity with the people.  Saul didn't like this and therefore wanted him dead!  David is on the run to save his very life!  What a devastating time for him.  He has lost his home, his best friend and is away from everything he knows to be home.  He is in fear that at any moment an entire army may find him and kill him.

Talk about despair!  Talk about pain and heartache!

And yet... what do we find him doing?  Leading.

Did you see what happened?  He escaped to a cave and his family surrounded him to love on him and comfort him.  But they weren't the only ones to arrive.  Basically everyone who had a need came to him as well - those who were in distress, in debt, and who were bitter in soul.

They obviously saw something in David that encouraged them - even while he was experiencing a tragedy!  What a message for us all today!  While we are hurting and experiencing pain and sorrow - God can turn that into a tool to lead others to Him!

We never read that David questioned why they were there or that he sent them away.  Instead we read that he became their captain.  Ladies... God gives us opportunities to lead and guide others at what seems to us the strangest of times!

David could have said,
"Not now! Can't you see I'm busy!"  

"I'm not up for seeing people today!  
Dad, make them all go away!"

"I've got to figure out my own life 
before I can lead someone else!"

He didn't say any of these things!  He just lead through the pain.

Don't miss these when they come your way!  It's okay for others to see you hurt.  We know in this life there will be pain and sorrow.  It's what you do with the hurt and the pain that counts.  We can teach God's Word all day until we're blue in the face - but sometimes we have to teach others how to hurt as well.  I believe this is what David did and that is why they followed him.

This has become my prayer -  that even in the middle of me trying to hide in a cave on some days - that others would see Jesus right here beside me.


Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!