I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sacrificial Thanksgiving

I'm in my 3rd week of teaching school and I think everyone is finally in the groove.  Students and teachers alike - we're all going about our daily grind.


I came home yesterday and my report was, "It was a drama-less day" - which is a wonderful thing to report!

However, as I went about my day, I couldn't help thinking about my earlier prayer time.  It was a verse from Psalms and to be quite honest I'm still working on making this one a genuine part of my heart.  It's not that I don't believe it.... it's just a hard one.  But I've never backed down from a challenge before, and I'm not starting now.

How do feel about the concept of "thanksgiving"?  I'm not talking about the holiday in November, but rather offering up to the Lord thanksgiving.  Thanking God for everything.

I read a verse about thanksgiving that kind of stopped me in my tracks yesterday.  I would love to hear how you feel about this verse.

Psalm 50:23 (ESV)
The one who offers thanksgiving 
as his sacrifice glorifies me,
 to the one who orders his way rightly 
I will show the salvation of God.

I totally love thanking God for the wonderful things in my life.  So it's really not a sacrifice to thank Him for my wonderful children, incredible family & friends, the new job I have, or food and other provisions.

However, to thank Him for bringing John, the love of my life, my very best friend-  to Heaven....

Whew!  Now that's more of a sacrificial thanksgiving.

Sacrifice is defined as giving up something of value.  I don't have to give anything up to thank God for the pleasures in my life.  This one is win-win!  I get to enjoy the good stuff, and I'll send the praise on up to God.

But to thank God for the pains in my life - that's a whole different story!

Must I really thank Him for moving John to Heaven?  For changing everything about my life? For exposing my private life to everyone?  For allowing me to feel lonely on most days?

Those "thankful" words are a little harder to form on my lips and even harder to truly feel. 

But the Psalmist says to offer "thanksgiving" up as your sacrifice will bring glory to the Lord.  I certainly want every part of my life (the good & the painful) to bring glory to God.

What do you think?


Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!