I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Monday, September 12, 2011

More Science: Homeostasis

When I stayed at home with my kids, God would reveal Himself to me in the things I saw & heard at home.  When I started studying for the Science Certification Exam - He revealed Himself to me there.

And now that I'm teaching... guess what?  Yep!  You've got it!  He's revealing Himself to me in the concepts that I'm teaching my students.

I shouldn't be surprised by this.  It's His world.  He made it, He can show up anywhere anytime He so chooses.  And of course He's going to show Himself in whatever place He's put me in at the time.

The other day I was teaching my seniors Biology.  I put a list of vocabulary on the board and we had a small activity to reinforce the words & concepts.  One of the words was "HOMEOSTASIS".

Even as I was teaching this concept the Lord spoke to me and I've been mulling it over in my mind ever since.  This morning in my prayer time He showed me how to have "homeostasis" within my spirit.

Homeostasis is by definition a property of a system to regulate its internal environment so as to maintain a stable & healthy condition.  Our body maintains homeostasis in the following manner:

If you are dehydrated - you thirst
If you are cold - you shiver - to produce heat
If you are hot - you sweat - to cool you off
If you need nourishment - you hunger

In other words, our bodies send us signals, that drive us to acquire what we need.  At first it seems like it may be a negative thing... sweating, shivering, thirsting, and hungering.  But these all happen from our bodies to tell our mind to do something about it!  To fix the problem and make it better.  As a result... we maintain a healthy & stable condition and can go about our day.

Homeostasis is also about balance.  If you're too hot - you need to cool off.  Simple right?

What about on a spiritual level?  How do we maintain homeostasis within our spirit?

Do you think God allows us to experience certain things that will drive us to trust Him?  I read this passage this morning and thought about how this might be a part of my Spiritual Homeostasis.

Psalm 56:3-4, 8, 10-11 (ESV)
When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.  
In God, whose word I praise, 
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  
What can flesh do to me? 

You have kept count of my tossings, 
put my tears in Your bottle.  Are they not in Your book?
In God, whose word I praise, 
in the Lord, whose word I praise, 
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  
What can man do to me?

So, as fear arises in my day, whether that be fear of the unknown, fear of what will happen at my next Teacher Evaluation, fear of will I teach this material in a productive manner.... I am driven to trust the Lord.  This will help me to maintain a healthy spiritual environment within my soul.

As fear rises - trust must rise!  This will keep my heart & spirit in balance - seeking to keep them stable & healthy!

Trusting in the Lord is the fixing of the fear problem.

Just like our body sends us signals to stay healthy - so does our spirit.  
How will you maintain spiritual homeostasis today?  


Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!