I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I get knocked down...

Usually I wake up in the morning with what my daughter calls "a Jesus song" in my head.  But this morning, after reading my One Year Bible, immediately that old song of the 90's "I get knocked down but I get get up again, you're never gonna keep me down" - filled my brain.

The New Testament passage was from Acts chapter 5.  Peter and the other apostles were in Solomon's Portico teaching and healing.
Look at Acts 5:14 (ESV)
And more than ever believers were added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women.


I would imagine this made for a VERY good day for the disciples - don't ya think?

I too had a WONDERFUL day yesterday!  It was the first day of Vacation Bible School.  I can't tell you what it did for my spirit to see those 5th Graders get excited about memorizing scripture!  They eagerly raised their hands, nearly knocked me over at one point so they could answer questions about God's Word first!  I left there on top of the world.

 You probably know what happened to Peter and the others after this great experience.  They were put in jail!  They got knocked down.  Not the celebratory dinner they were expecting I'm sure.  However, God was no where finished near using them, so He got them out of prison!

Acts 5:25 (ESV)
And someone came and told them, "Look!  
The men whom you put in prison are standing in the temple and teaching the people."

Peter and the others didn't let a big setback like prison knock them down completely!  Just like the song - they got back up with the heart and soul that "you're never gonna keep us down!"

Yesterday after Vacation Bible School I had to sign a bunch of papers.  It was really a good thing - but numerous papers had a "spouse" section and I can't tell you how many times I had to check the "Single" box or the "Employee & Children Only" box.  This really knocked me down.  I had a great day and yet went to bed sad and disheartened.

Sometimes when we get knocked down it can feel like a prison.  Like we're trapped and there's no way out of hurt, sadness, despair, the list goes on and on....

 However... today is a new day!  I totally and completely believe this!  And more than that... God has charged me with spreading His great news to these precious 5th Grade  VBS-ers and I know He's going to open those prison doors for me too!

The Sadduccees wanted to knock down the disciples that day - hoping they would give up from defeat.  Likewise, yesterday, Satan knew which button to push with my spirit and I'm determined not to let it defeat me too!

In fact this is how the disciples responded and it's my prayer that I will make this true in my own life today....

Acts 5:29, 41-42 (ESV)
But Peter and the apostles answered, 
"We must obey God rather than men."  
Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the Name.  And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.


Have you been knocked down recently?  I know it hurts and it's really hard to "get back up again" - but with Christ He can give us the strength to say to the enemy "you're never gonna keep me down!"



Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!