I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I'm STILL strong!

Last weekend I attended my own church's Women's Retreat.  It was at a beautiful retreat center in East Texas.  During my Saturday morning prayer time, I found a wonderful passage!  One that I'm sure I've read many time before, but it felt like I was reading it for the very first time.

I was sitting on a picnic table all alone near the still lake and God met me right there with this...

Joshua 14:11 (ESV)
"I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me;
my strength now is as my strength was then, for war and for going and coming."

Okay, let me give you just a little background info.  Caleb is speaking to the children of Israel 45 years after they first saw the Promised Land.  He is reminding them of the time he & Joshua went into the land to spy on its current condition.

Do you remember when Caleb & Joshua were the only ones to believe that with God they could take the land?  All the other spies were worried about the giants.

Caleb was 40 when he first spied on the land; and today, in the verse above, he's 85 years old!
As I read this verse I thought to myself, "Now you KNOW Caleb had to have seen a lot of "life" in those 45 years!"  He didn't just stop living!  

You know that issues and physical encounters arose during that time, and yet he says "I am still strong!"

Caleb didn't say, "God, I'm 85, and I've lived long enough, it's time for me to go home and quit!"  He said, I'm still strong for wars, for coming and for going!

Most of us spend more time telling God and those around us just how tired we are - instead of how strong we are!  Most of us are already determining what year we're going to retire!  I wonder if Caleb ever thought about retirement?

As I thought about this verse, I realized that God made Caleb strong!  Caleb didn't just acquire this kind of strength - at 85 years of age - all on his own.  God had to have given him this kind of strength.
If He can give it to Caleb - He can give it to us as well!

Sitting at that very peaceful place on Saturday morning, I wrote this in my journal...

"Lord, on the other side of this journey - well rather smack dab in the middle of it - I want to be able to say, "I'm still strong!"

What about you?  Do you need some Caleb sized strength?  Don't quit!  Don't give in to being "too tired" - keep marching!  Say to those around you,

"I'm still strong for war, for coming and for going!"

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!