I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Retro Thanksgiving

Each morning I read the One Year Bible.  It's one of my most favorite and treasured times of the day.

Right now we're reading through Psalm 119.  This is the longest chapter in the Bible - it has 176 verses!!  And most of them are about delighting, following, obeying, learning, the Word of God - His statutes, and His rules.

Today, most people may not even see this post as they are traveling over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving.

This morning as I was reading about God's rules - for some reason I started gearing up for the car rules we'll have today as we travel to Texas.

Like...
stay on your side of the car
stay in your seat belt
we'll take turns with movie choices
no hitting or yelling

.....you know the drill....

I thought about all the fun methods of entertainment my children can enjoy on this 6 hour drive and traveled back in time to the ways my sister & I enjoyed our Thanksgiving travels.




The year was 1970 something...

and instead of the the comfortable mini-van with movies and games my sister & I made a make believe world out of the back of a station wagon.




When we would go on long trips (longer than 30 minutes) my parents would put a mattress in the back and we would fill it with dolls, barbies, and games like these:




There were no required seat belts in those days!  Can you imagine?!  And strangely enough... I never remember flying into the front seat!

Strangely enough though...
the car and the games of 1970 may have looked very different from today - but the rules remain the same!  And today... I hope my children will not only follow them - but delight in them as well!

I'm curious....



What's your favorite memory of traveling with your family?
  
How did you travel and what did you do to pass the time?

If you're here from iFellowship... WELCOME!
I hope you grab a cup of your favorite beverage
and hang out with me a while!
Leave me a comment, so I'll know you came by
and know that I'll be by later to visit you as well!

iFellowship




Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!