I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Monday, July 18, 2011

An Important Role

Many of you know I read my One Year Bible as my daily prayer time.  For the Old Testament portion we are currently in 1 Chronicles.  If you know much about Chronicles you know that this should almost be retitled, "The Book of the Names" - oh my!!!  Chapter after chapter is filled with name after name!

It can get exhausting to read... and yet I really try to read these, at times unpronounceable, names - searching for a little nugget of truth that might be embedded within them.

Today I found that little nugget!  Check this out...

1 Chronicles 27:33 (ESV)
Ahithophel was the king's counselor, 
and Hushai the Archite was the king's friend.

I know it doesn't seem like much now - but hang on... hear me out.

For what seems like the past 27 Chapters all we've been reading about was the role all these, "named men" had.  Everything from army officers, keepers of the treasuries, those over the sheeps, camels, and donkeys, those over the olive trees and wine processes.  And let us not forget those over each and every gate!

Then all of a sudden - amongst all these very important roles we find where scripture allows us to see who was King David's friend.  The role of "friend" got a mention in God's very Word - it was that important!

So this morning, here on my blog, I want to thank all of you for being my friend.  (Those local, those afar, and those whom I have never hugged or seen in person but are just as close as if I had)  If God can see fit to make sure Hushai got a mention in His Word for being David's friend - I can at the very least send out props to all of you for being my friend.

I would imagine that it was at times hard to be the king's friend.  Maybe that's why Hushai was mentioned.  Perhaps it was because his role of "friend" was more important than we realize.  I too recognize that it's not always easy being someone's friend.  And yet, it's still an important role.

Today, take seriously your role as "friend".  You may not ever get a "mention" like Hushai - but your job as "friend" is equally as important.

How can you do this today?  Start with prayer.  Do you regularly pray for your friends?  Then, do things to let them know you love & support them.  Send them a quick email, text, or when you see them - really look them in the eye, smile, hug... These are all priceless things!

I know because you've all done this for me - even when it was hard to do so!

I love the friends the Lord has given me!  You all are such blessings in my life!



Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!