I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Are you a Survivor?

Have you ever considered yourself a survivor?  Today there are many different places and ways we think about this word.

I think about it terms of cancer - I have many friends who are "cancer survivors."  Here, I couldn't be prouder of this word!  I'm so proud of my God and my friends who have endured such scary times!  My chest puffs out a bit when I call my friends "Cancer Survivors!"

Then... there's that TV Reality show.  I've been known to get sucked into the drama of the "survivor" - and the lies and the manipulations that go on with being the sole survivor - doesn't really leave a good taste in my mouth.

Then recently my name has been listed as a "survivor" in my husband's obituary.  In some way for me... in this case, I wasn't too sure how I felt about being a "survivor".  It felt kind of negative to me.  Like I was the one left here - to be sad or something.

So what exactly is a survivor?  Do I now have a certain attitude or job I must perform?

Webster defines survivors as:
"One who remains alive or lives on.  
They continue to function or prosper.  
They withstand (after many hardships)."


Okay.... then by definition - aren't we all survivors?  The first thing I want you to COMPLETELY get today is that you are indeed a survivor!

If you think, "I just don't think I can make it through this!"  You're still alive aren't you?  Then in some way or another - you're "making it through" your hardship and therefore you are surviving!  You're making it!

Now that we know we ARE survivors - what role do we have?

I must admit from the very beginning that I really hope I'm not taking this verse out of context or reading more into it than I should...

but I read this verse last week and it was about survivors.  I wrote it down in my journal and have been praying it over my life ever since.  It think it has something for us all.

2 Kings 19:30-31 (ESV)
And the surviving remnant of the house of Judah 
shall again take root downward and bear fruit upward. 
The zeal of the Lord will do this.

I am a surviving remnant!  And as a survivor - a survivor of John Franklin - okay.  But definitely as a survivor of the house of the Lord.... I want Him to root me in His Word so that I can bear much fruit.  Knowing all the while, that it all happens because of the zeal of the Lord!

Notice the direction of what's happening.... roots going down - fruit bearing up.  Roots live where no one can see - fruit is for all to see.  Prayer time, Bible study time happens in the quiet moments of my day when I can be alone with God.  If that has truly taken hold then fruit can grow upward.  Fruit - like Galatians talks about - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.


Friends - know today you too are a Survivor! 
Take this role seriously and let others see the fruit of withstanding life's hardships!

Be proud you're a Survivor... 
knowing all the while the zeal of the Lord will take you through this!!

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!