I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Why's & the How's

Good Morning Friends,
I hope you're all doing well today and getting excited about this weekend. Easter is one of my most favorite holidays. As a kid we would get dressed up in our absolute Sunday best and go to church. Then immediately after the last "Amen" was said we would drive to my Grandmother's house (we called her Nita MeMe - I miss her so) and join the rest of my Mother's siblings and all my cousins for a great big Easter lunch. Of course the grownups would hide eggs for all of us kids and actually did so long after we were of the egg-finding age. Nita MeMe had a great big yard (or at least it seemed that way to me so many years ago) and we pretty much stayed outside the entire afternoon! She also had a fig tree which I remember climbing and eating way to may figs one year. Ahhhh... memories! I'm hoping that year after year I'm helping to create some wonderful Easter memories for my children.

I'm not sure why - but lately Sunday mornings seem to be the time my children like to ask really bazaar questions! Now, usually this is the time that I like to have quiet time in the car listening to (as we like to call it) "Jesus music" - so I can begin to get my heart, mind, and spirit prepared for all that God has planned for church that day. However, lately - this has become a time of really interesting questions. Having a 5 & 3 year old, questions are an ever-present thing, and I've noticed something interesting about them.... JP (being 3) asks "WHY QUESTIONS" and Jordan (being 5) asks "HOW QUESTIONS".

I love how inquisitive my children are - but sometimes the timing of these questions is less than desired. But today I read something in Proverbs that I know will help me in the days of questions to come.

Proverbs 31:26 (ESV)
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

Okay, first - usually I read my One Year Bible for my devotional time. If I'm left wanting more from God's Word, I read Proverbs. Did you know that there are 31 chapters in Proverbs? So, if you're not sure what to read on any particular day - turn to the chapter number of that current day. So today, I turned to Proverbs 31. And I almost didn't do it today! I know what Proverbs 31 is all about - and frankly I thought, "I"m just not up for it today". Proverbs 31 is about a woman who fears the Lord. She has some very high standards and I just wasn't sure if I was up for the challenge.

But then I read verse 26 - "she opens her mouth with wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue." As I read this I thought about the never ending questions of my kids. Jordan's question on Sunday morning was all about cars!! It started out with how does gas get into that little door on the side of the car - and then several "how" questions later we're talking about "how" a motor works! Arg! Most of the time I have the wisdom to answer their "why & how" questions. But this particular one I had to refer to Daddy! I wonder if God ever gets tired of our "why" and "how" questions?! Do you ever bug God with things like this, "Why did that have to happen?!" - "How do You expect me to handle this one?!" - and so many others. I can honestly say that God has shown me WAY MORE kindness than I deserved when I questioned His actions. Therefore, I should certainly show kindness to the questions of those around me.

I may not always be able to respond with wisdom (ie., knowing how a motor works) - but I know that I can always teach kindness by how I respond. And not just to my kids - but to everyone I encounter! Do you have a coworker that finds that one last nerve that is frazzled already and steps on it? Or a family member that seems to ask inappropriate questions of you all the time? Take the advice of King Lemuel's Mom, and when you open your mouth - pour out wisdom. And if that is not possible - pour out kindness. I think most of the time we remember how people said things rather than what they said anyway. I'm remembering a scene from "3 Men and a Baby" where Tom Selleck is reading a car magazine to the baby in a very sing-song type of voice. Bottom line: be nice! We can discipline, correct, educate, and especially love with a kind word.

This Easter, thank God for His answers to "Why did He have to die?" - and - "How can I respond to His death & resurrection this Easter?" And as we follow the path of Christ from Thursday's arrest to Sunday's resurrection - let's make a point to gain wisdom and speak kindly to those around us!

I love you all dearly!
Your sis in the faith,
Pen

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

1 comments:

Rev. John Franklin said...

Nicely said, Babe... thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!