I'm so glad you've stopped by my blog! I am a Women's Minister and a former Pastor's Wife. I love finding God in my regular-everyday-stuff. I struggle with keeping up with the laundry, I love blogging, and my kids are my first line of ministry. I am recently widowed. So God and I are on a brand new journey as I try to find peace and understanding. Please grab a cup of coffee and let's get to know one another as we journey on our faith walk together.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I want to learn!!!

This past weekend I spoke at a retreat called, "Weekend 31."  It was all based on Proverbs 31.

One of the verses that I covered was, Proverbs 31:19
"She stretches out her hands to the distaff, and her hands grasp the spindle."

I've done enough research to know that the distaff and the spindle is close to sewing.  My mind quickly travels back in time to about 1988 - when my Mom tried to convince me that I needed to learn how to sew. That I would be "miles down the road" if I only knew how to sew.  That I needed to know how to hem my future husband's pants.  That I, at the very least, needed to know how to replace a missing button.

But.... unfortunately, I wanted NOTHING to do with this skill.  At 17 years old, I could really care less about my future sewing skills!!  And as a result I disregarded her teaching.

Fast forward to 2005 - when I really started studying Proverbs 31.  Imagine my utter horror when I saw that apparently a Proverbs 31 woman knows how to sew!!!   I was horrified!!!  I thought, "Oh, how I messed up so many years ago!  If only I had learned how to sew when I Mom tried to teach me, then I would be closer to being this iconic woman in scripture!"

I must confess, as a 40 year old woman, I now am at a place in my life, where I want to learn how to sew!  And to be completely honest with you - it has NOTHING to do with wanting to be a Proverbs 31 woman. It's all about hemming my husbands pants, replacing missing buttons, replacing ratted and torn car seat covers, and being impressively crafty at the holidays!

So, in lieu of all of the above, this past week, as we dropped off our kids with my parents for the weekend, I asked my Mom if she had a spare sewing machine.  I am honored to say that I am now in possession of my late paternal grandmother's machine. 

To read the rest of this post come & join me at Seeds of Faith Women!





Seeds Of Faith For The Christian Mom


Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from you and value what you have to say. God bless you and thanks for stopping by!